Together, we can help journalism and integrated marketing communications students excel
At their core, journalism and integrated marketing communications are both about storytelling. The best journalists seek the truth and report it. The top IMC practitioners shape brands and influence behaviors in ways that help businesses and organizations grow to their fullest potential.
Students in the University of Mississippi’s School of Journalism and New Media learn by doing. From taking photos on other continents, to shooting video at playoff games or writing words that change lives – students don’t simply study journalism, they experience it. Our IMC students craft campaigns for local, national and international companies and clients. They use social media, PR, advertising, marketing and sales tactics, adding professional skills to their resumes while still students.
Our students work for The Daily Mississippian, NewsWatch Ole Miss, Rebel Radio and the online publication HottyToddy.com. They sell advertising and develop social media marketing strategies. They write in-depth investigative reports, travel abroad to work on journalism and IMC projects and win dozens of major regional and national awards for their work each year.
With your support, our students can access even more extraordinary educational opportunities.
Today, you can invest in scholarships, student experiences and internships, faculty support and the expansion of Farley Hall and the Overby Center for Southern Journalism and Politics.
Here are just a few initiatives you may want to get behind:
- Learning experiences, including those of global importance. We’re headed into the Delta this spring as part of year-long reporting partnership with Gray Television called “Bridging the Great Health Divide” – helping improve health outcomes for people who lack resources.
- Remarkable interest in our graduate programs. Both the M.S. in integrated marketing communications and the M.A. in journalism are growing exponentially, as well as the number of assistantships we offer.
- Expansion of our Talbert Fellows program. These rising stars in integrated marketing communications and journalism are already making a mark. We continue to create pathways for these talented undergraduates to connect with alumni and other proven professionals.
- New Political and Social Justice Reporting emphasis in our updated curriculum’s launch. Students’ work will be shared through our Student Media Center, HottyToddy.com and in other school-sponsored media.
- A new fashion promotion and media specialization to help bolster a student initiative resulting in the creation of UMSquareMagazine.com – an online fashion magazine with a 60+ student staff.
- Plans to create a vibrant space for innovation in the heart of Farley Hall. We plan to turn a seldom-used lounge area into an incubator for students’ creative work.
But we need your support to keep growing and helping our students to succeed. On Giving Day, we prove that the University of Mississippi family is better together. Let’s all work as one to support the School of Journalism and New Media. Together, WE are Ole Miss.
Please celebrate Giving Day by making a gift! Thank you!