Together, we can invest in our University Libraries
“What a school thinks about its library is a measure of what it feels about education.” – Former U.S. Commissioner of Education Harold Howe
The Ole Miss family has a responsibility to strengthen the University of Mississippi Libraries, and many alumni and friends have taken up the mantle.
UM Libraries serve researchers from around the globe, sponsor programs and exhibits to broaden perspectives and encourage lifelong learning. Librarians teach our students and faculty the importance of our resources and how to use them in their research. Print and electronic resources positively impact the quality of every student’s and faculty member’s experiences on the Ole Miss campus.
Your gifts can bolster the reach of the Universities’ reach and resources. Among them:
- The Libraries supported our faculty, students and researchers throughout the challenging year of a global pandemic.
- Between March and June 2020, the libraries temporarily added 3,675 eVideos, more than 40,000 eJournals and almost 600,000 eBooks
- In support of remote classes and the library buildings’ closing, our team purchased 214 eTextbooks and scanned and emailed over 6,000 pages of library resources
- Librarians created learner videos to assist students with remote research. Librarians transitioned course instruction and consultations online. To support virtual teaching, workshops were offered on video editing and designing online presentations.
- eGrove, UM's institutional repository, has made over 55,000 digital items available to users around the world. This includes student theses and dissertations, faculty research and archival photographs. Information is downloaded from researchers in 221 countries and all continents but Antarctica. eGrove has already hit close to 1 million downloads of UM content
- The Department of Archives and Special Collections houses one of the world’s finest collections of books, manuscripts and memorabilia devoted to Pulitzer Prize-winning writer William Faulkner. The General Special Collections contains more than 63,000 volumes and 1,000 manuscript collections of Mississippians.
- The Libraries’ Blues Archive holds one of the world’s largest collections of blues recordings, publications and memorabilia, including the personal listening collection of legendary blues musician BB King.
- Other unique collections include the Civil Rights and Race Relations Collections, U.S. government publications since 1883 and the National Library of the Accounting Profession, all used by scholars worldwide.
- The Libraries offer a range of study spaces including collaborative areas with technology, group study rooms and quiet study areas.
- Technology is available for in-house use or checkout. The IDEAlab includes 3D printers, a virtual reality station and a large format printer.
On Giving Day, we prove that the University of Mississippi family is better together. Let’s all work as one to support University Libraries. Together, WE are Ole Miss.
Please celebrate Giving Day by making a gift! Thank you!