Together, we can help the Honors College enrich young minds
Students come from around the nation to attend the University of Mississippi’s Sally McDonnell Barksdale Honors College (SMBHC) for an enriching, challenging and rewarding college experience.
Today, please make a gift to the SMBHC and invest in our citizen scholars. Your support will help many more of our students with scholarships, fellowships and independent research projects.
Our Honors College merges intellectual rigor with community action. We offer students a demanding academic preparation similar to that of prestigious private liberal arts schools but at a far lower cost. A diverse body of high-performing students become citizen scholars, fired by the life of the mind, committed to the public good and driven to find solutions.
The highlights of our program include:
- Study-abroad fellowships encourage students to expand their knowledge base. Among places students have chosen are as varied as Namibia, China, Chile and France.
- Augmenting academic experiences allows our students to excel in their chosen careers after graduation. We seek support for students working in unpaid internships or research opportunities.
- Even more, we want our students to dream big and amaze us. Awards support students who propose ambitious independent programs of study, research or humanitarian efforts.
- Six SMBHC scholars have produced publishable papers at the highest academic level as undergraduate students and our University secured two Goldwater Scholarships.
- Our experience-based classes have produced recommendations for local leaders on affordable housing.
- For the first time SMBHC students were awarded the prestigious State Department Rangel Fellowship and the Yenching Award.
- Applications to nationally competitive awards including Fulbright were up by 62% from last year as the Office of National Scholarship Advisement expands its offerings.
- A large potion of SMBHC students go on to law, professional or graduate schools. Others have accepted career positions at the U.S. Department of Justice, St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital, the Federal Reserve Board of Governors, C Spire, Amazon, Nike, Cisco and many more.
On Giving Day, we prove that the University of Mississippi family is better together. Let’s all work as one to support the Sally McDonnell Barksdale Honors College.
Please celebrate Giving Day by making a gift! Thank you!